Pages

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Close But No Cigar

A while back I sent a poem to a competition run by AA "Directions" magazine. (That's the Automobile Association not Alcoholics Anonymous). The theme was "On the Road" and the maximum was 50 words (which in my opinion is ridiculously short) so I had to prune my 65 word poem a little to make it fit.

Nevertheless last night I found out that I had been listed as one of five "highly commended" poets. Sadly only the prizewinner gets money and publication. But being one of the five runners up feels very good. I only found out by chance, the list was published in the magazine but I had no other notification. I've had my copy for a couple of weeks but hadn't opened it - hey, it's about cars after all! The only person who can make cars interesting is Jeremy Clarkson.

The judge for the competition was Elizabeth Smither. I'm looking forward to reading the winning entry in the next issue of the magazine.

No comments: