Pages

Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday





What I would normally be doing at this time on Good Friday is making hot cross buns. Today, however my daughter wanted to do it, so I thought I would take the opportunity to post some photos I took on my walk yesterday. These are from Halswell Quarry. When the first settlers came to Christchurch, they found that this place was a wonderful source of stone - volcanic basalt - both for crushing to put on the roads (what a waste!) and for the magnificent Gothic revival stone buildings that are among the city's oldest. Eventually the quarry was closed, apart from a small section where stone is quarried for repairs only, because further quarrying would damage the housing areas nearby. Instead it has been made into a park. In the surrounding land there have been established a number of gardens representing our sister cities. The stone statue is in the Korean garden. The others are a general view of the quarry, one of part of the surrounding park area and a closeup of some of the basalt. I took a number of close ups of the rocks, hoping it will inspire a quilt sometime.

No comments: