Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Photo Thursday: Weather

It's Photo Thursday over at Create a Connection. Katherine (with a K) has asked us to post a photo that reflects the weather in our neck of the woods.

To digress a little, there are things I love about my life at the moment. I am actually enjoying working full time for the first time in around thirty years. It's nice to go out, feel I'm doing a useful job, and come home knowing someone else is putting dinner on the table. They do say a change is as good as a holiday, after all.

On the other hand, I feel a little like I imagine my daughter D felt when she first started school. This wonderful self contained child who never before in her life uttered the words "I'm bored" would be saying them the minute she set her foot in the doorway. It has something to do with being told what to do all day, I suspect. It drives creative thoughts out of the brain. Although I could find fifteen minutes a day, at least, to write or for other creative pursuits, I seem to need a lot longer than that to shift gears. It's easier by far to spend the evenings doing laundry, ironing, tidying up or other mindless chores.

So I haven't written anything for a while (which is why I have nothing for Poetry Thursday). My main creative outlet at the moment is photography. Though my photos are rather quick snaps. Still, I like taking a few minutes, when something has caught my eye, to stop and take a photo. It reminds me to look at things with fresh eyes.

Now, back to the weather around here. Cold and wet. This poses a challenge as far as taking photos goes, because I don't think my digital camera would be too happy being out in the rain. However, on my way home from work yesterday, I had stopped off on an errand. When I got back in the car, it was dark and there was rain on the windscreen. So before I drove off I took photos of the streetlights. The rain seemed to do something strange to the lights in the camera - fortunately I wasn't seeing these effects with the naked eye, because it would have been difficult to drive!

One with the traffic lights green, and one where they had turned red:



5 comments:

katherine said...

Catherine, I love your rain photos. They are beautiful! Thanks for participating in Photo Thursday.

Deb R said...

Oh, those photos are so cool! It's almost like the patterns you see in a kaleidescope only not symmetrical.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photographs. One can see different at dofferent momemts.

Got here today from Michele but I have already linked you sometime back.

Kay Cooke said...

Weird and wonderful photos. I can identify with what you write about here so much - the part about the creative part of the brain becoming somehow compromised by what work takes up ...

Unknown said...

Life brings us so many twists and turns, doesn't it? I dare say that is what keeps it interesting.

I adore your rainy photos. You've turned something around that had the potential to be bleak and dreary and made it spectacular. Well done!