Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Imaginary Worlds

On a hill track near here, a sign warns walkers to watch for "underrunners". These are actually underground passages carved by rain in the clay soil, but the word intrigues me and makes me imagine strange creatures living down there.

This poem is very much a first draft so be kind!

Underrunners

Once they knew the sun. The earth betrayed them,
gave way beneath their feet. You may hear them howling
but you will not see them. They gnaw roots,
snatch at the occasional pale insect.
They wander passages where pale fungi bloom,
running, always running, they keep in time
with the footsteps of those above.

For more imaginary worlds, visit readwritepoem

6 comments:

Jobove - Reus said...

very good blog, congratulations
regard from Catalonia Spain
thank you

Nathan said...

I like this quite a bit. The images are excellent. "Where pale fungi bloom" is a wonderful phrase. Your introduction really complements the piece.

Anonymous said...

I like where your imagination took you with the word underrunners. A strange concept, not unlike the underground rivers I mentioned in my poem.

Interesting, how you have them in a pale underground, running parallel to the above ground world.

Kay Cooke said...

Good to catch up with your latest happenings. I have visited the Quarry so know where you were ... it is a marvelous place and very near to where my sister lives.

Kay Cooke said...

OH I forgot .. the poem ... I love the imgage of the 'creatures' running along underground in time with the human feet above! A neat, surprising end to the poem.

Joanna said...

Love it. Feels like a partner to your Minotaur in leather jacket poem ...