Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2009

NaPoWriMo #12

For the prompt "Old Movies" at Readwritepoem

The movie, for those of those not familiar with it, is Dr Zhivago - click on the link for a plot summary.

Lara’s Theme

Snow never feels cold
on the big screen in the warm,
darkened theatre. Its whiteness
dazzles. He is so handsome,
the dashing young doctor.
Even through the gunshots, deaths,
partings, I want to believe in happy endings
somewhere, my love
- grasp at small servings of hope.
Fields of Russian corn
golden in the sunshine,
the brightness my raincoat
as I emerge into grey, drizzly twilight
to catch the bus home. Dinner,
piano practice, my mind still filled
with the image of the young doctor,
his brother’s last question –
Do you play the balalaika?

3 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

A poem about my fav movie. A real treat, thanks Catherine.

blythe said...

This is great -- I must admit I've never seen the movie although it's been on my to-see list for a while -- and this makes me want to bump it to the top of that list! And though I can't relate to the specifics of the movie, I love how you captured the way a good movie lingers with you long after you've watched it -- I know that feeling well.

Irene said...

I like the change of mood when reality bites ....dinner and piano practice. Also the slivers of personal clues. So, have you mastered the 48 preludes and fugues
yet?