Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

The Vertical Lawn



An "installation" at the front of the Canterbury Museum as part of the Christchurch Floral Festival. It's made of real grass growing in a felt backing, with water trickling down to keep it fresh and green (though it seems to be withering a little at the top).

A detail:



Posted for this week's Thematic Photographic: The Grass is Always Greener

(Something seems to have gone wrong with my Photoshop settings. These pics are way smaller than I intended, but it's late at night so I'm not going to try and fix it right now).

Update: fixed it!

3 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

I LOVE this - both the concept and the photos. A great idea of creativity at work. (Although too bad that it's probably pretty water-intensive.)

How DOES that mower do completely vertical mowing?

Greg O'Connell said...

Catherine, you may be interested to know that poetry is alive and well in Christchurch schools. For details visit www.gregoconnell.com. Go well, Greg.

Glennis said...

Oh my goodness! This is very funny!!!

I had to laugh. What a great shot!

Go google Patrick Blanc for more takes on things growing on buildings!