Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Up Close and Personal

It is close up week at Carmi's Thematic Photographic, so I thought I would post these photos I took at the weekend in the walk through kea aviary at Orana Wildlife Park.



These birds are very curious and not at all scared of humans, I was quite surprised how close they would come to us. They are mountain parrots, and are known for the damage they cause to cars parked at ski fields, where they will strip the rubber away from windscreens.



When they fly, they display the gorgeous orange on their backs and undersides of their wings.

Orana Park is New Zealand's only open range zoo. Many of the animals are in fields separated from the visitors only by a wide moat. These are a habitat for water birds, including the swan who posed obligingly for my new banner.

2 comments:

Glennis said...

I love the texture the way their feathers lie together and interlock. Good "closeup!"

Unknown said...

Gorgeous colours. I watched a programme on tv about animal intelligence. Animals and birds were given various intricate tests..the kea won hands down.