Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

You Don't Know What You've Got Till It's Gone


As buildings are made safe or demolished, more roads are beginning to be opened, which gives me more possible routes to take to work. This morning I took the opportunity to stop and take some photos on the way, because buildings that are still there today (although damaged) may not be there next week.I stopped at Cranmer Square (above) where I was able to find a parking space - not always easy because of safety fencing, road works etc.


The Cranmer Centre on the south side of Cranmer Square was the original Christchurch Girls' High School, and featured in the film Heavenly Creatures with Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey.


It was being inspected...


A detail of the door.


On the north side of Cranmer Square are the Cranmer Courts - a lovely old stone building, once the Christchurch Normal School, later converted to upmarket apartments.


Corner detail of Cranmer Courts.

1 comment:

Ben Hur said...

I was thinking this very same thing. I should document, just for personal reasons, I'm not an "official" anything, the buildings that will be no more.

I'm afraid Fatty Brownlee and his team of demolition looters may have already beaten me to too many sites already. Fatty is such a philistine!